Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Confessions of a D.C. Addict

Tyler said that I would be laughed out of an AA meeting, so I figured I'd confess here.

I am a Diet Coke Addict. I have been clean for...not as long as I'd like. And yesterday I fell off the wagon. I put a shot of the caffinated kind in my Caffine Free Diet Coke, because c.f.d.c. is just not the same. And I felt bad. But not bad enough, I guess, because Tyler left yesterday afternoon on an almost 3 day buisness trip, and after a rough evening and morning, I felt very justified in getting a diet coke, straight up, with all its ice and bubbles and lovely chemical goodness. Just one couldn't hurt, right? So, I did.

I took a sip, thinking how I deserve this. But, wait... something wasn't quite right. I took another, more carefully this time. Yup. Tyler is right. Diet Coke IS nasty. I threw the rest out. And wanted to cry. What will be my reward, my pick-me-up, my excuse for a bad morning just til I get my drink?

I've thought about it for a while and my replacement addiction is either the smell of my sweet baby or chocolate. Probably the latter.

6 comments:

karin said...

I thought the same thing on Sunday, but I continued to drink and it was great about half-way through the can (I know, not even fountain). Chocolate is what I am turning to these days but really, that can't be good either (well the quantities I am consuming).

Anonymous said...

I hate to burst your Diet Coke bubble, but Joseph the food scientist told me that aspertame, the main artificial sweetener in diet soda, turns into formaldehyde in your stomach.

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

i have turned to diet dr pepper. I understand the whole pick me up thing. i don't keep it in the house for that reason. I really will drink it all up!
good for you on giving it up!

Unknown said...

I've known all my life that it's nasty. Did we all grow up in the same house?

Unknown said...

ps, come out here and I'll get you some cheerwine. It is GOOD.

Ann said...

I've been off it now for almost 2 months, and I still crave it every now and then. Sad, sad, sad...