Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ode to Nursing

Quiet and alone,
my infant looks at me,
or is it the contrast between my hair and the wall?
There is magic,
forged in heaven
or natural selection
or both.
This bond, gentle and strong,
urges me to keep strange hours
and endure the pain of a thousand tiny sharp needles,
amazed at baby's gaze,
her sweet gurgles and grunts,
that intoxicating smell,
the perfect, soft skin...
The magic spell is broken.
I watch in horror
A sticky drip of mother's milk
creeping toward a freshly bathed fold in baby's neck
and my hands are full.

(It was a long night.)

5 comments:

karin said...

You are cracking me up! But now I NEED to feed my little baby.

Unknown said...

Taste it. It's GOOD.

Anonymous said...

Emily, that's gross! And Beebe, way to get all poemy and stuff.

Tricia said...

Awwww.........I love it! lol. And I can totally relate. Well, it's been a few years, but I remember.

Kristy said...

I appreciate and can totally related to the thousand little needles comment! Yikes! Sorry 'bout your night!