Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Felt Playhouse Hints

I really should've posted about my sewing project today as a salute to Grandma Stewart on her birthday--Yay Grandma! But I will try to respond to your questions and thank-you for appreciating my (hard for me but for truly creative and crafty types it'll be a walk in the park) work.

I got the ideas first from my old roommate and truly crafty gal, Kristy at:
http://toddandkristy.blogspot.com/2009/11/wait-for-it.html
then:
http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/search/label/felt%20playhouse
then:
http://sewmuchado.blogspot.com/search?q=playhouse
and fianally, from an Etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/missprettypretty?section_id=5577944

What I learned mid-project was:
*templates are good, and any clip art works fine, too, perhaps a little more detailed but it'll work
*free-handing the tree and bushes works too, but draw the tree to scale from the get-go or the trunk will look funky when you trim it from the bottom (what was I thinking?!?)
*decide on the exact size before cutting any felt (I over-estimated a lot because I didn't want to be 1/2 inch shy when I was sewing the 5 pieces together)
*although spray adhesive seems like a good idea, the felt won't hold, it makes everything sticky and I do not have a strong enough sewing machine to get through it properly
*sewing the walls to the roof before sewing them to neighboring walls together worked
*snarling at my kids to not touch the pieces while I was making it has made them hesitant about playing with it--my kids are good at looking at it, while friends and cousins play more with it
*the accessories don't have to be finished for the kids to enjoy playing with the house part more--the bees and letters have been fun, seperate additions
*I did NOT need all the felt I bought--again having a plan and the dimensions before buying would've been good. I guess that means you will get one for Christmas, Karin. Except we don't have you this year. And I know half of what we're getting Ann's family already. Who has you? I'll give them felt.
*I spent way more time thinking about sewing it (cutting wasn't a hesitation) then actually sewing it, so it shouldn't have taken so long, even with my active three "helpers"--so don't worry. It'll take you a much shorter time than it took me.

1 comment:

Aleese and Scott said...

I love that play house!! All of your hard work paid off, because that is the cutest thing!!