Thursday, August 26, 2010

Just a Month Shy


Eleven months is its own milestone, for sure, but I can't help but look forward to and dread Millie arriving at the Big 1 Year, mostly because then that marks where her baby scrapbook will end, not that I have any of it done. But I dread it because she is growing way too fast! How are these months just flying by!?!?

At eleven months, Millie has been standing alone for quite a while. It is adorable how she'll crawl to the middle of a room and push herself, carefully balancing, to a standing position, then applaud herself on the accomplishment. Our most careful walker, by far, she is finally taking those cautious little stutter steps--arms outstretched, legs wide, all for balance. Of course, living in this house with the action going on around and bumping into her, she needs to be extra steady.

In one weekend, she did a bunch of firsts: crawled all the way up the stairs, crawled back down FEET FIRST (she is soooo much more careful than Con and Grace) and broke her first tooth. On the stairs, where is she headed? To the playroom, of course! The girl will go and play with toys all by herself. For 15-30 minute stretches. She's probably just happy no one is taking the toys away, but this is fantastic! This is younger than Grace and, well, Con never did this. At least, not until this year. And with her tooth, Millie has developed a pickier palette. Bites. Finger food or on a fork. But no more mush, please.

And she started signing: "all done," "milk" (while saying "ba-ba"), and "water." Don't mistake what she is asking for, 'cause she'll let you know, both through a holler and by dumping the unwanted onto the floor. She has chosen not to sign, my personal favorite, "more," gave up saying "mo!" and has opted for a high-pitched bellow. I try to coach her to sign or say the word, but she's no dummy and uses what works. Other Millie words include "mama," "dada," her own version of "Conrad," "clean-up," "ba" (for bath), and "na-na" (no).

She's such a funny mix of Con and Grace, and something that is all her own. And we love her to chunky bits!

4 comments:

Kelly and Mindy said...

I can't believe she is talking so much. Deacon says Da-da, but I don't think he is referring to anyone in particular.

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

She is doing such different things than Stephen. He has about 8 teeth but no words. A couple signs and walking but won't sign or tell me more (which I need to know!) Way to go Mom- you are great

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

that commment sounded sarcastic but it really wasn't. I am amazed by you and way to go Millie. Can you come be an influence on Stephen- I can't take the whining and crying anymore

Unknown said...

she flips her tongue! My big boy does that, too, but I can't to save my life.