And all his fine motor practice has paid off! Before his drawings were unintelligible scribbles. One of the moms at our pre-school is an OT and looked at his paws and told me all the ligaments and muscles are there and connected properly, he just still had his baby fat pads and they were getting in his way. No worries. As he aged, they'd disappear and he'd have more control. (How did she know I was so concerned? Because Grace at one was drawing more exactly than he was at four.)
And Jill was right! One day, Conrad drew this and I recognized it:
And the next day, out of the blue, he wrote:
H-A-T. On his own. I didn't even write it out for him to copy then have him "try again" until it was intelligible (like his name on those blasted valentines). He had it in his head. He put it on the paper. Bam!
And he has been drawing different people and writing a variety of letters with great enthusiasm ever since.
Very exciting indeed for a former school teacher mom.
3 comments:
Patrick just did this EXACT same thing. Kennedy has had more fine motor skills than him for awhile now. I kept having to tell myself over and over again that he is a boy and fine motor comes later, blah, blah, blah. And then....just like Con. OVERNIGHT, he could draw all these stick figure pictures with details and write all the letters that he kept insisting he couldn't write even though I was convinced he could. It was AMAZING. It reminded me of the magical moment when a baby suddenly starts walking. You know they've been building up to in for awhile but when they suddenly put it all together, it's like magic!
Isn't it great when your kids start this! I was so proud of my kids...the joy of being a mother
Wowsers. He's good. We're trying to do thank you notes for H's 3rd birthday and it's torture for both of us. I only want him to write H and he knows how but the repetition is killing him/us.
Post a Comment