Sunday, July 12, 2009

Ah--hah Moment

I love my little back yard. For now. It is the perfect size for young children. Big enough to play. Small enough to not hide very well. A patio for trikes and scooters. And enough windows that I can hear Everything from the kitchen, family room, dining room (which houses the computer) or my room. Shady for almost all of the day. Built up planters which are relatively low-mainaintence.

I have only three rules for the backyard: Be safe, be kind, and don't dig in the dirt.

We used to have sand and water in the water table. What a mess! This year we have gone with the just water method. And the kids immediately started digging out the one empty part of a planter and using the dirt to make 'sugar cookies' and 'chocolate cakes.' I ignored it for as long as I could--but pregnant and battling the mud on the patio, shoes, bare feet and in the house was just too much for me. We counted down and bought a grape plant and potting soil for the dirt pit and decided: no more digging dirt. We want our plant to grow grapes, don't we? Logical. A reward (someday) to leaving the dirt and the plant alone. We even stacked little white lime stones around the base of the plant, mostly as a reminder.

But it hasn't worked. Not really.

Frustration!

Grouchy mama.

And still a dirty, muddy mess.

What's the deal?!?

Last night I overheard Tyler ask Con, "Are you ready for the shower part?" (Con wanted a shower-bath--a bath then a shower after Grace is pulled out of the tub.) Con told him he wasn't ready, that he wanted more bath. Tyler got frustrated and let him know it was now or not at all. I chuckled and pointed out that Tyler's attempt to be polite was backfiring on him, that Con was just answering honestly, and that a statement might accomplish his purpose better than a question. I admitted I had been committing less-than-communicative-with-children-faux-paus lately, as well, despite those many months as a student-teacher where that had been severely scrutinized. All that training and I had forgotten.

This morning, it hit me. Hello. Digging toys in the backyard. Just sitting there. Asking to dig. Why would I leave shovels and rakes and pails in the backyard toy basket if I didn't want the kids to dig in the dirt? In my mind, they weren't just left-over from when we put sand in the water table, but useful with water. Of course, I didn't explain that, and even if I had, a rake doesn't scream out "water." Duh!!! This was a huge Ah-hah Moment.

I have gone out and pulled the just dirt toys from the basket. I left the pails and watering cans. If the pails prove to be too much, those can be put away as well.

And I officially, sheepishly apologize to all the kids who have come and played, whom I have gotten after for playing in the dirt when I clearly said not to, because my actions were even louder in saying, "Dig away!" You dear, sweet children (including my own) with the innocent eyes, I am sorry.

And now, how to get rid of all the rocks Con loves to throw....

2 comments:

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

very smart!! I shall have to look in my backyard because I have that same problem... I am so sad that we don't get to stop by again on the way home. We will just have to come for a visit- I will call you and give you an address. thanks for finding the watch

The Daniel Family said...

Hey Elizabeth, I got your link off Raeann's blog. Your kids are darling and I love your ah-hah moment. I think all us moms have had a few of those!!

Jen Daniel