Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Our Utah Trip, Part III, the Utah County Days

Saturday, I was up (alone) and into the car by 6am. That is 5am California time. Early, early. I don't function before noon. Really. But I had to be to the Timpanogas Temple by 9:30. (One main reason for coming to Utah was that my cousin was getting three of his children sealed to him and his wife.) And I made it into the doors by 9:34. Even following trailers down the canyon to Logan. And again, down the canyon to Riverside. Miracle!

As I sat there, in the temple with Dad's family, I thought about how there are repeats in life, patterns. Grandma and Grandpa had done this four times before. With their own children. My dad and his siblings had attended similar sealings, and there they were again, this time in support of the next generation. I couldn't help but think of this wonderful group of people and what the words "adopt," "love" and "family" mean to us. And I felt sorry for people with different perspectives. Because I looked around at my family, who I am sealed to because Grandma and Grandpa found their babies and raised up a posterity. It's the most natural thing in the world!

Let me get off my soapbox and back to the events.

A few photos, then I went to Sam's Club then ran down to Nanny's (having more perishables than cooler space) where there was a whole crew getting ready to place sod down at "Nanny and Papa Cy's Park," in the rain. It was weird leaving to go have a long, leisurely BBQ lunch as they all dug into the mud. But a quick dash and we were back up to Sally and Slade's house. Let me tell you--I have delightful aunts and uncles! We hung out, moved everything inside (I have never seen so much rain in June in Utah in my life!), ooohed over beautiful babies and visited all afternoon with cousins I haven't seen in years. Did I mention delightful people? Because they are!

We finally left, raced back to Benjamin and helped finish putting the sod down. When I say "helped" I mean that I lent my already dirty-from-camping pants and shoes to my sister and she and her husband layed down sod. Oh, yeah. I "watched" the kids. They were quite independant and had pleanty to do. But no one wanted to watch me try to heave huge rolls of sod around. And I didn't want to aggrivate the heart burn any more. So, I gave Ann my pants. And stayed clean and dry, watching everyone else working like mules in the pooring rain. It was weird.

The next day, I went to church without my kids. I sat there, Karin and Ann and Pi and Dad wrestling kids in the back, without cheerios or books or crayons or sock puppets (Thank-you Kristy, those are the BEST!) and it was WEIRD! (Last time I say that, I promise!) Tyler had the kids at Bear Lake, still--and I'll let him tell that story. I heard the sacrament prayer. Sat reflectively during the sacrament. Listened to the speakers. W-word! But I snatched my one-year old nephew for Sunday School and Relief Society. A girl can only take so much wiggle-free-ness!

After church we set up tables and chairs and got food out for a Cousin's Party. Its been years since we've all been together, so we did our best to get as many together as possible. And thank-you Nanny for your yard and house! When you offered, would you have guessed it would rain? And just as family started to show up, my little family did. Tyler's parents drove out of their way to bring them to me (Thank-you!) and I was excited to see the little ragamuffins--because that is what they were!

Grace was in her cute little sundress for church, with a dirty, mis-matched sweater over the top, red and gritty all over her face (strawberries and cheetos) and something in her hair. (A quick wet paper towel to her face and hands and then I could hold and cuddle her.) I didn't get a really good look at Conrad until hours later, he was off playing with cousins so fast, but when I did--oooo-eee! His hair was standing up all over, as if he had just woke up, he was wearing the sweat pants I'd put him in to sleep two nights earlier, only now they were caked in mud, a filthy, filthy sweatshirt, and then there was his face: a special mix of food, dirt, and snot. I realized this was the impression he had presented to my WHOLE FAMILY and I had a Captain VonTrapp moment. The one where he flicks some drapery-head-wrap and says "These are my children." (I later found out that Con had almost worn this ensemble to church with his church shoes, but his toenails were too long and he wore his tennis shoes instead. At least he matched.) Tyler looked just awful! Like he hadn't slept of shaved or showered in a week, and it had only been 30 hours! He picked up influenza a as a souvenier, we found out later.

That knee-jerk reaction of horror only lasted a moment, because I hadn't been at church with them and kids don't notice the grime on other kids as quickly as their own mother does and there was so much going on, that really, who cares. And if Tyler did have the swine flu, it was probably better that my little germ-carriers were looking like Untouchables, keeping the great and great-great grandparents from getting too close. And, like I said, there was a lot going on.

We had a great time--food, chatting, watching our kids play. And talk about a brood of little boys! So far, boys are the definite majority for this next generation of our family. I am glad it cleared up enough for them to play outside on the tractor bikes and newly grassed park.

Its been years since I have seen half of my cousins. And Eric pointed out that we were introducing our children to our cousins the same way our parents had introduced us to their cousins twenty years earlier. Like I said, patterns and repeats. (The big difference being that my dad has a gazillion cousins and I have thirty-ish.)

And it was great to see my aunts and uncles and dad sitting around, sharing memories, swapping stories, laughing over old inside jokes. This is more common with mom's side, but not often enough with them, either. A true treat to have them all there. Just wish mom could have been too.

Em, we missed you. The details are here for you, so you feel like you were here. (Katie, Matt, Mike and Jill, we missed you too, but the details were written for Emily. The Bear Lake photos are more for you other guys.) Next cousins party you have to be there, harmonica, Beatles wig and all!

Whew! I've said it before, but this time I mean it double! We don't allow ourselves enough time when we go to Utah. Really! We did a lot in a short time, were back in the car Monday morning and booking it home for work. Didn't see anyone who I wasn't related to and two grandparents and a ton of other relatives who we are related to. And of course, as is always the comment as we drive out of the valley, we really should come longer and more often. Friends and family who think we don't love you, please know that I didn't even have time for a proper diet coke run. For reals. Next time, a longer stay. Okay. Maybe the time after. There is another sealing and 48 hour trip coming up where Manti is on the schedule. But the next trip...

5 comments:

karin said...

Honestly, I saw your daughter and she did not look as nasty as you think (I also was not holding her).

I thought it was a wonderful weekend, especially the way you describe it. I wish Bryan was coming with me this next time too, maybe next time (oh, wait next time there will be a football game to watch too). I wish I had been able to chat more with family but since my children were fatherless, I spent a lot of time chasing one child in particular. Next time. And I agree, it would have been nice if more of the Walt Stewart Jr family was there. We will have to plan at least a year in advance to let everyone know about it.

karin said...

Do I get a prize for leaving the longest comment?

chunkymonkey said...

And Grace had already been wiped down by the time you saw her.

I notice you didn't dismiss the grime on my son. It was an accurate portrayal.

karin said...

I don't think Con slowed down enough for me to even see him, except for the bath after going to the farm and I was passing by. Having all those boys together that age was fun for them (and fun to watch).

Unknown said...

My wistfullness and jealousy knows no bounds, except that I'll be there myself in 2.5 days. But I missed the cousin party!
(And Scott E. wears the wig. Harmonica is all me, though)