Monday, October 27, 2008

Homemade Bread, the Sequal: The Recipie

For Kristy and anyone else...

Mom's Bread Recipe
makes 4 loaves

5 1/2 c warm water
2 T yeast
sprinkle sugar
mix gently
let sit 5 minutes until bubbly
6 c whole wheat flour
2/3 c vegetable oil
1 c honey
2 T salt
mix well
add white flour until the dough is "like a baby's thigh" (about 5-6 c)
knead 10 min
let rise til double (30-45 min)
divide into 4 and place in greased bread pans* **
cover with a damp cloth and let rise til double again
bake 375 for 35 minutes
turn onto wire racks to cool
store in plastic bag



The easiest part is that you can make this in a Bosch, letting the machine knead the dough for you (on the lowest setting)and you just let it rise in the mixer bowl. Easy-cheesy and a contained mess. (For you Kitchen Aide lovers, it probably works just as well, as long as you use a dough hook.)

I love to eat it hot out of the oven, smothered with melty butter and honey, with a side of peaches. That is just how we did it growing up--bread night dinner was bread and home canned peaches, but I haven't canned peaches, so we use store canned ones. A.B.N.Q. Still, it's a decent second.

*The beauty of Mom's bread is how she has mastered the fresh factor. Instead of baking all four loaves, bake what you want - one for you and one for the neighbor, or 3 for you, but who can eat more than 3 loaves in the two days (the second day being a toast day) - and freeze the other loaves. When you want fresh from the oven bread, set it on the counter to let it thaw and rise, about 3-5 hours (depending on the temperature), then bake.

**Emily-it is totally worth buying 3 more bread pans. 20 years ago, mom did the math and figured it cost her $.25 a loaf to make it. Karin and I guess .35-.50 a loaf now, with inflation, but compared to the $4 bread that I like, it is still quite the bargain.

Maybe I'll figure out the true cost per loaf one of these days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now you're just teasing me!

karin said...

I like how you spell recipe and just wanted to add, remove from pans immediately and don't put in the bags until cooled completely or else the bread gets sweaty and soggy.

Kristy said...

Thanks, Beebe! I'm excited to try this!

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

Sounds good. I just made a new recipe of bread and it was delightful! I do love homemade bread