Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Grandma Debbie Paints a Tree

I like green. When we moved into this house, the largest of the three little bedrooms was green. Yeah! It was perfect for Con's jungley room and had a closet big enough for his toys. This is what the bare corner above his bed looked like.

In May, I asked Grandma Debbie if she could paint a tree, like a mural, on Con's wall. Before I knew it, she had a plane seat reserved. When she asked what kind of tree, I was no help. When she asked what I had in mind, I was no help. When she was choosing the brown for the trunk, I was definately no help, but I am glad that I trusted her artistic color choice and that she didn't listen to my doubts. (We know how I am with choosing colors after the bathroom mess, don't we.) She showed me the trees in Where the Wild Things Are (and she read the book to C a couple times a day during her visit). Then she got to work.

It turned out better than in the picture book...warmer and more cartoonish, more abstract. I love it. Con loves it. As I put him down for his nap, he says something I know he understands, but I can't make most of it out except the word "tree." He sleeps underneath Grandma Debbie's Tree. It really is too sweet.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, that is so cute and sweet! I love it!

karin said...

I love that tree! It looks even better in real life. Maybe if I ever get a house Grandma Debbie can paint something for my boys.

Anonymous said...

Fun. We're painting Phil's nursery in two weekends. Green and cream. No pink girls in our family. It's the rule. Ok, it's my rule and Phil is happy to oblige.

shauni said...

I love the tree and the colors of his bedroom, it is so peaceful and imaginative.