Monday, April 02, 2012

Hunger Games

To everyone that I said I wouldn't read the Hunger Games until my kids were grown, I changed my mind. I did it for love. I'm glad I did. 'Cause I loved it!

I first heard about the book when I had a newborn, was tired , emotional, hormonal, and reading a book about the starving Willie and Martin Handcart Companies. I was waking up at night, irrationally worried about my little ones going without food because of some unforseen calamity. And when you hear the title, you assume this book will be about starving people. They are. And when you discuss what the book is about, you think its about kids fighting to the death. Which it is. And you know you just wouldn't sleep at night if you read it, 'cause my immagination is so much more real when I'm into a good book than a movie. And so I declared I wouldn't read it. Nope. I didn't care how good it is, how much anyone thought I'd enjoy it.

Tyler read and loved the series. But he wasn't too pushy about me reading it. Perhaps because I stop everything until the book (or books in the series) is read. I don't sleep. I don't pay much attention to kids. I don't cook. I don't clean. I don't sleep. I read. When Conrad was a newborn, Tyler recommended Divinci Code. He woke up to a hungry baby in the middle of the night and brought him to me for feedings. I just didn't hear the baby. I was reading.

Tyler wanted to go see the movie, but his movie buddies were out of the country or had gone with the wife. He missed the opening weekend (his favorite time to go see a flick) and then looked sad. I caved. We arranged for a babysitter. And I downloaded the first book. For love, people. And because the trailer Tyler showed me didn't look that...hungry. And I have that year's supply of powdered milk in our food storage.

And I loved it.

Couldn't put it down.

I started Thursday at 7:00 as I sat with kids falling asleep and Tyler went to play church ball.

I finished at 3:00am.

And I looked over and saw the hardback copy of Catching Fire. I couldn't help myself. I started that one, too, 'til I was so tired I couldn't focus on the words.

Friday, I had kids to care for and a book to read. Unfortunately, reading in the day time has too many interruptions. Because my kids want so many snacks. And someone to wipe their bums. And they tend to get into mischief if I'm distracted. So, I stuck the unfinished book in my purse when Tyler took me on my "hot date" hoping I could read through the previews or while we were eating frozen yogurt. (I didn't, by the way.)

I finished late that night.

And started on Mocking Jay. For the record, I did pause for Conference.

Lucky I read kinda quickly.

I was wrong to not pick it up sooner! Hunger Games does have hungry kids fighting each other to the death, but that was simply the background for a story of a love triangle, youth, freedom, figuring out who you are and who you can trust, government plots, a post-apocolyptic warning.... And its well written. With great characters. And now that its over, I haven't woken up fussying over my babies. That was needless worry on my part. In fact, with those late nights, I am sleeping like a log.

After the clean-up today, though, maybe I shouldn't pick up a good book until we are empty nesters.

No comments: