Sunday, October 10, 2010

Millie's First Birthday

It snuck up on us! Millie's birthday! I saw it on the calendar. I knew the day. I just kept telling myself that it was still a long way off. 'Cause this year has gone by too fast!

Bam!

We hosted a family dinner, followed by presents and cake.

Millie caught on quickly to the idea of unwrapping presents, and had lots of help accomplishing the task. And her favorite present?
A toothbrush! She had been wanting a real one that she could do all by herself for a while.

After that, she really didn't care much about the cake or the candle.
Luckily, she had help blowing out her candle.
And her daddy helped her grab at the cake, because thats what you're supposed to do at your first birthday.
But she didn't love the frosting or the cake. Not her flavor, perhaps. And too messy.

But she didn't let the mess deter her from ice cream!


This butterfly cake is my best First Birthday Cake, yet. (Con's was a blob. Grace's not too bad, but this is my best.)


Millie at one year:
-is loud! The girl can screech and squeal like Con and Grace, combined! And she is not bad at imitating tones and vowels. She loves to sing--those hymns just get her started and its hard to get her to stop. She's got down a few words: mama (actually she has all but given this up), dada, ah-yad (Conrad), yay-yee (Gracie), ah-dun (all-done), nean-ah (clean-up), bah (bath), yeah, yay, ba-ba (bottle), and can sign more, all done and milk.
-walks, runs, climbs up and down stairs, dances, and (the new skill) pushes the mail cart and shopping cart like a mad man, and is trying to figure out walking up the stairs
-wrestles and plays football with the kids and daddy.
-knocks on the door
-folds her arms when we pray, or clasps her hands if she sees Con doing it
-loves to slide, play outside, toddle around the park, and just be down
-thinks she is big
-tries to mother Grace, like Grace mothers her (for example, she wipies Grace's face and leg while I'm changing her diaper)
-finally has four teeth! And will now eat many things cut the size of rice.
-loves to turn the pages of a book, but doesn't want to slow down for the story.
-thinks she is big. I know I already said this, but She Thinks She is Big and tries to do anything and everything Con and Grace do. This is the theme of our lives. And it is so fun!

We love you, Millie!

3 comments:

Lindsey Harmer said...

Such a cute cake Beeb! Cake decorating is on my list of things I want to master. Hasn't happened and I am yet to not burn a batch of cookies. But someday!

Natalie said...

Cute cake! You are wonderwoman! Don't I say that about you everytime??

Unknown said...

E always wants to help out on H's diaper changes. I love that Millie wipes Gracie's leg.