Is it wrong to pretend not to hear a very tired boy who shall remain nameless who is sitting in his room, with the door closed, playing, pretending to be asleep, just so that he'll stay there and stay QUIET?
He isn't quiet for the girls' naps.
He isn't quiet for Quiet Time.
He doesn't watch TV quietly.
Frankly, he doesn't even pretend to be asleep quietly. But its quieter than the others.
And then, do I reward him as if he had gone to sleep? If I'm going along with this charade, how far do I go?
3 comments:
I love moral dilemmas like that. My boys used to play he quietest at bedtime. I don't know what happened but now it is the loudest and they get separated most nights. I have no suggestions for this and since I have talked to you since you posted this...I hope the rest of the day was better and you enjoy your manicotti tomorrow, if you make it to the store.
I say, you've got to reward the behavior you like. You don't have to pretend if you don't want to. You can say, "I know that you weren't sleeping so you can't have (previously discussed bribe for sleeping), but you were so quiet I thought you were sleeping, so you can (almost-as-good bribe).
That way he learns Mommy is omnicient but he still gets some positive reimforcement. Win-Win!
Ann's a genius. Seriously.
Post a Comment