Saturday, we came home from the hospital and Gracie had her first bath. Conrad was very excited to be the big brover and have little sitter home, at last!
Sunday, the Fardani came over for Mother's Day (Thanks, again, Mom for cooking the delicious meal), there was strict monitoring of hand washing and baby holding by the cousins and big brover, alike. That night I lost it, cried, bawled, and blamed Tyler for the exhaustion that had finally caught up to me, the pains of nursing, and a baby who wasn't latching on properly. Hormones!
Monday, I was so glad that the NP we took Grace to for her first check up is our lactation consultant as well. Grace passed with flying colors, not even a foot stick for jaundice--the first in our family! Conrad started including the "No" in the phrase "No, *I* the big brover." Fore shaddowing? I think so.
Tuesday, Con was playing upstairs. We were chatting downstairs. It was quiet and I realized, mid sentance that I had heard his pitter patter in the hall just before the quiet. I ran up the stairs, ignoring the stitches, to find my 2 1/2 year old holding my 4 1/2 day old at the top of the stairs. He was informing me that "He is crying," which she was not, and that he was the big brover, so he got her. I kept the panic in check (for that moment), noticed she was still asleep, she hadn't cried at all, had no marks, we hadn't heard any bumps or drops, the bassinet was still standing, and Con was holding her one arm under, one arm over, like we practiced when he was holding her, sitting and supervised. Either he is a strong little guy and just happened to scoop her out of the bassinet just so, or a guardian angel knew he was going to hold her and placed her safely in his arms. I'll take both explinations. And now we put up the baby gate.

Wednesday started with a bleary-eyed morning and a croupy cough. Ann drove Conrad and me to the pediatrician. The nurse probably thought Con had two moms. Dr. A clarified that Ann is the aunt and gave the philosophical schpeel about newborns higher immunity and not knowing when Con had first become contagious.... That was all I wanted to hear, but still it was drama! Luckily Ann was there, Conrad clinging to her, because I cannot hold his 35lbs or fight his I-don't-want-the-doctor-to-look-at-me-or-listen-to-my-lungs screams and kicks.
Thursday, I don't remember much. Grace "slept all night," only waking to eat, change and eat again, but my toddler was up and down all night because of a fever and the humid heat that makes his room too hot or too cold. He did "not want the medicine!" and Mom finally got him to hold it in his mouth long enough to dissolve some aceteminophine on his tounge, like a cat.

Friday, we took Mom to lunch for Mother's Day, but the new Cheesecake had too long of a wait. I suggested a soup and salad place across the mall, and we walked over there. (I keep pushing it too much.) And when I went off, baby in sling, to find a place to feed her, the bishop's wife passed me on the escalator. I guess I have to go to church on Sunday! I just don't want people trying to touch or look at her and getting their non-family germs on her. We'll take her in the sling, I guess.
Saturday, Tyler and Conrad took Mom to the airport. I cried for at least 5 minutes after I heard them pull out. Then, I got busy and finally sponge bathed the baby again. Under protest. (I want to preserve and intensify that baby smell as much as I can.) I cried again for 15 minutes that night when Con said,"Bless Ga" in the prayer. How do you explain to a 2 year old that you want your mommy? And he was still sickish, but didn't want to nap or even sleep. Is this kid related to me, or what! Luckily, his fever seems to have gone and he is acting like himself after a full night's sleep.
The rest of the week is a blur of feedings, diaper changings, hand washing, little naps, good food and those lovely moments of quiet alert time. Not a bad week.
11 comments:
If the boys saw me crying, it was (according to them) because of the owie on my tummy because the baby wanted to come out bum first (and then they giggle because they say bum- they are related to their momma and Aunt Katie).
Thank you for the photos of her dantiness. I wish you had emphasized the 2 mommies a little more- that is my FAVORITE part of your week. And I have already told you this but just because you are ready to run an errand doesn't mean you are ready to have your newborn at church.
Oh, what is on Con's head?
And I am crying over how big the older boys are DAILY.
I'm impressed that you got all of that down with the baby so young...you were always so put together!
More power to you for getting this all down. I don't think I could do it. I'm pooped from the two babies here this week. Anita, Karen, and your Em are my heroes this week. Call us if you want a good ear to cry into.
Whew....you are amazing! That really was a lot of stuff going on. I know the feeling of help (especially when it's Mom) leaving....it's scary. You will be fine, it's just the *thought* of not having the help that is scary.
And you are a sling mama! That's awesome!!! I love my sling, and still carry it in my car (Ava could still ride in it...she can't seem to get up to the 35 lb weight limit!). That sling saved my life (and sanity) more than once.
Don't worry about not going to church, I was on the inactive list both times. :) I waited two months, and then three weeks, respectively. Take your time.
I'm glad she's growing beautifully, and that Con is getting used to being the big Brover. He's so cute! I'm so happy for guardian angels...my goodness, that must have been scary. Eeeps!
Thanks for sharing. It's so great to keep up with your little family. :)
non-family germs! lol
She is Beautiful!
Ask your momt eh nurse - you are not allowed to take your precious bundle to church yet. I realize this is Monday so I may be too late, but Don't Go!
Con scared me. maybe you need more than a baby gate. Maybe a backstop.
I was laughing out loud at your "experiences" with Con holding his little sister. I have a very busy little boy who would do the exact same thing. We were lucky though, when Madison came he didn't have time to stop and notice her much. He was too busy doing other things. You are in for many more adventures, but at least they make for something good to blog about right?
Congrats, Beebe! She's so cute! And I totally agree with Em--although it's Tuesday and probably too late--don't go to church! There's a big difference between the scattered germs at the mall and the close germs at church. Plus there's all the old women with drippy noses who like to touch babies--it skeeves me out! Fortunately for me, Owen has slept in his seat for all of church the past 3 weeks! Anyway, this was longer than I intended. Again, congrats! Take it easy! And wrap that baby in bubble wrap before her big Brover tries to kill her by helping!
My heart goes out to you! I can see that image in my mind of my son holding a little one at the top of the stairs. Total fear! Angels were there watching over both your little ones. This entry of yours has made my day. Thank you so much for sharing these memories with us.
Just keep going...you can do it! Moms will come back to visit; look forward to that. I did.
Lots of love coming up to you from Redhill!
To comment on these comments,
1. Those are Toodles Mickey Mouse Ears Con is wearing, the way HE thinks they should be worn, ears back.
2. I didn't take the baby to church--it was stake confrence--yeah!
3. I'm not alone. My wonderful mil flew in last night and will be here for just over a week. And Tyler was "home" this weekend, with a deadline for work. Poor guy!
4. I've decided blogging is a better choice than using that 10 minutes before baby wakes to eat again to try to fall asleep than get all grouchy when she works like clockwork. That is just not pleasant. It only takes a few waits for feedings to get a post.
5. Thanks for the cheering! I forgot about Newbornhood. Completely. But I am treasuring it as much as I can--it must be short b/c I don't remember it with Con very well.
Post a Comment