Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lt. Walter T Stewart

About a month ago, KBYU had on "A Wing and A Prayer: the Saga of the Utah Man," my Grandpa's documentary. I DVRed it. (We have a VHS of it, but no player.)

Since then, Conrad watches it a few times a week. Hi. War. Guns. Airplanes. A few catchy songs. Airplane Grandpa. Its a new favorite. Now, when he plays Army Guys, the last guy standing, the one who survives, is always this one, who Con has named Lt. Walter T Stewart.

I am grateful that the document maker, Mike Sanchez, approached Grandpa more than a decade ago, recorded his story and has shared it in such a captivating way. He captured the story teller that is/was my Grandpa and my kids get a chance to see the guy that I knew while he was sharper than a tack. And they are learning from him, just like I did, what patriotism means, what freedom is worth and what a great country America is. It is a treasure.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of all the edited clips that didn't make the final cut of the movie?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They have it on dvd too. But I don't know of it has extra features