Thursday, November 18, 2010

Conrad's 5th Birthday

I've never met such a young, dedicated football fan. Con loves the sport! He watches every game. As many times as I'll permit. He still watches last year's BYU v. UofU quite regularly. And he doesn't just watch. He plays right along with them. Football in hand, helmet on head, makeshift "mouth piece" in mouth, the family room rug is his field, he hikes the ball (often to himself) and follows along with whatever play BYU carries out. If they fumble, he fumbles. If someone is tackled, he is tackled by his imaginary foe. And he lives every 1st down and every touchdown right along with the Cougars.

For Conrad's fifth birthday, he decided all he wanted was to go to a real football game at a real football stadium. And a real football jersey. So, we took him to his first BYU game and Ga and Papa got him a jersey, which he loved!

And, on the back: Surprise! His last name, just like a real football player.

He loves his jersey. And the BYU beanie Nanny and Papa Cy surprised us with just for the game, because after taking his favorite treat (Winco donuts: chocolate with sprinkles) to school, we picked him up and drove 12 hours to Utah County. For a real football game. We aren't that hard core--but what we won't do to support a love that might be a great motivation when Con's a teenager, and if you're going to have a hero other than your dad, isn't Bronco Mendenhall a good choice...

That Saturday, as we were driving to the game, it was pouring. And as we dragged Con and Carter from the parking lot to the stadium through the sheets of rain, they kept tripping on their knotted up, but still too long ponchos. And I thought we'd survive long enough to drink some hot chocolate and take a picture or two. But by kick off, the rain had subsided to a light misting. And everyone in the stadium had their ponchos off by the end of the first quarter. I even wished I'd brought sunglasses! And the rain kept the crowds down! Perfect game day!

Con watched the game--really watched it! He was glued to the action on the field, then up to the instant replay on the Jumbo Tron, then back to the field. He didn't even notice the band and the wave and stuff until the forth quarter. When Tyler took the boys to get hotdogs, Conrad heard the crowds cheering and took off, back to me (luckily) because he didn't want to miss the game! And the defense won the game for us in the last minute--always exciting.

If you ask Con what his favorite part was, he tells you it was winning 26-20 against Wyoming. And his second favorite was high-fiving the players as they made their lap around the field after the game.

Conrad has since decided that what he REALLY needs now is a real BYU football helmet. I've let him know that he'll have to buy that himself. And he cleverly has put the money he got from his Grandma Debbie and Grandpa Conrad to that end.

Go Cougs!

3 comments:

karin said...

So glad Con loved it. I never doubted this would be his birthday. Ever.

Why are you posting in the middle of the night?

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

that is very impressive...I do miss a good football game. I wish that we had time to drive up and see one. I know there are games closer but I just want a good BYU game

Unknown said...

Mom showed me the video of Con opening up his jersey. What a fabulous b-day!