Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Is it Her or is it Me? aka. TP, Garbage and Detergent

Either Grace is more mischievous or I am less attentive. Conrad got into the garbage once. The toilet paper (where he tried to eat it) once. And no calls to poison control or 911.





Grace regularly EATS toilet paper, drawing paper, scratch paper, bits of paper and whatever she can get from the garbage. Regularly. So regularly that I asked our pediatrician if I should be concerned about some mineral deficiency, like kids who eat dirt and dogs that eat grass. He said probably not, it's probably a texture thing, but that she's due a blood test at her next well baby appointment, and we'll check it out.

I am just not feeling like the world's best mom with all this.




And then...

She got into the dishwasher detergent. I was helping Conrad do his "chore" (thank heavens I wasn't on the computer, tuning the kids out as I have been known to do), when I thought, "Grace has sure been quiet. Hmmm."

And there she was, toddling through the living room with spit up in her hands and on her face. Only, it wasn't spit up.

I had just run out of my favorite little Electrosal Tablets, which Grace can't get into, and I thought nothing of getting out the dishwasher liquid gel. Of course she pulled it out of the door less cupboard. Of course it popped open on the new rug I had gotten for Christmas. Of course she would squish it and taste it and eat it!

Drama, drama, drama!

I rinsed her off and out and read the label and changed her (now bleach-spotted) clothes and coaxed her to drink as much water and milk as I could, as per the instructions on the label. Then I had to call Tyler for the number to poison control (our Internet was down AGAIN) because a good, prepared mom would have it posted by the phone like you are warned to do. And the poison control lady was very kind with my curt manner and looked up the information on the specific brand and informed me 1.Kirkland brand is the only one that uses that dangerous amount of phosphates anymore, 2. look for signs of discomfort and chemical BURNING and 3.the instructions are wrong! that lots of water or formula may cause vomiting which will just burn her innards all over again!!! The nice lady said she'd call me back and check on Grace to see how she was doing.

And then I thought it through and realized that my baby was being very content. No pain. No burning. Most likely, no ingesting. Maybe not even any tasting.

So, she is into everything, the little monkey, but she is a smart little thing, so maybe she will survive, even if I am not as attentive as I once was.

6 comments:

Candice said...

I am so sorry. What a traumatic day! Katrina would put anything in her mouth too, and at 11, still does. She ate a roley poley once, so gross. The dr. says it is a sensory thing and that I shouldn't get too worried, still it is hard when I catch her licking things. Not gross things, just things that might be new and yet undiscovered. It's like she never grew out of the "babies put everything in their mouths" stage.

karin said...

Oh those almost one-year-olds. I think with Con, you only had him to pay attention to so of course you were more attentive. But my little guy LOVES the trash and I have no where to hide it. So it is a battle multiple times a day, running to the trash and taking something out of his hands (usually after I have gone to the bathroom or switched the laundry, I go directly to the trash to take something away from him). They really are smart, they know when you are doing something and they don't have your full attention. But soon she won't be doing it and you will miss this stage (I know I do).

Kristy said...

Is it poison control's job to make you feel like a complete failure? That's what I think! Glad little G is ok--how scary! Why oh why do they eat the things they do?! OP's new favorite are Kleenex--used ones. Sick!

Unknown said...

How scary with the detergent!

I guess I've always been a lazy parent, because H gets into the garbage all the time. We only have like 2 rules at our house, maybe 3, but the trash is his FAVORITE.

amelia said...

Oh no! The Kirkland Signature one from Costco? That's the one I get...

AmyJane said...

Sheesh. I think it must be a second child thing--your attention is just divided more ways. Kennedy has far more "incidents" than Patrick ever did.