Escrow has closed, it has been thoroughly cleaned, and we are unpacked, well, mostly unpacked.
This is different from our little duplex or condo. We have a yard--just enough grass to cut it in 10 minutes, front and back. And we are waiting for the water table to arrive. It will go right by this window, so I can see Con as I sit at the table and blog or whatever...
I am taking the picture from a bark pit where we will put a toddler swing set. I can't wait! A yard for our boy! It is so fun, some work, and a lot of spiders, since our house sat empty for 2 years.
My favorite part of the house is this fireplace. I want to eventually redo the rest of the place to match it...rustic, calm colors, home-y feel. This room is almost ready to go, we just need to find something for the sliding glass door (we took down the former curtains and put up blinds, but have hit a snag with the door) and hang the painting.
Tyler doesn't understand why I don't love this half wall between the family room and kitchen. He doesn't fear the kids falling off the wall and cracking their heads open like I do. And yes, C and Ann's kids have all climbed up on it at least half way, except for Evan. I want to tear it down. We will see.
The kitchen is huge compared to our last tiny kitchen, but the last folks here did a funky, sad, sad paint thing to the cabinets. The horridness does not show through in photos. Our real estate agent found the perfect description. " What a pity," he said, and he got it exactly right. We will fix that tragic error and replace the counter tops sooner than later. This is Tyler's project that he is excited to start. I am just tired from moving in and not sure when I want to begin tearing everything apart. We are also looking at matching some decorative tile pieces to the slate in the fireplace. We have big plans.
Con knows right where all his favorites are, and likes to pull out "trtle" (I didn't misspell it, this is how he says it, but I may have misspelled misspell).
These last 2 photos are why I sat down when I should be at the gro-cer-y store. Friday Tyler asked me, with a sparkle in his eyes, to come see a lawn mower he had found on Craig's List. Remember the 2 little strips of grass that are 3 feet wide? I must have looked at him like he was nuts, because he said, "She has a baby grand piano." When Tyler found this house, there was a lot I didn't exactly love (like the master bath that Tyler thinks is the cat's meow and we will Never get to change, except I WILL change the paint SOON!!) but I loved the fireplace and the corner in the livingroom, when I didn't even want a living room, but I loved the corner for a baby grand piano. He had looked at me warily and I told him a piano Someday.
We went to see the used twice lawn mower and got it, an almost brand-new weed wacker, and a little trike for free, and an invitaion to buy the piano, a lovely bedroom set, wooden blinds and ceiling fans and anything else we wanted. We researched it and went back the next day for the piano.
So Friday ended up being that Someday. More precisely, Saturday was that Someday. We got it for a great deal and have polished away the grime from "kids and pets" (another Craig's List ad claimed that pianos which have never been exposed to such impurities must be better.) Now we just need to have a piano tuner come and get it to sound right and voila--our living room is almost full. We just need a rug and a chair or two. And my Lladro finally has a home. It has been in its box since I came home from my mission!
Where I need you is the walls. Or should I say wall. Our new house has lots of windows (we are putting up blinds, if you noticed the boxes in every pic) and not much wall space. Everywhere we have lived has had our picture wall which we can't find The Place for right now, but that is not even the dilemna I come to you with. The problem is that Tyler and I have differing opinions. We went with one, and I will not tell you which, but I am doubting it. We put our fake Monet on the "dining room" part of the wall, and a Monson saying over by the piano. The other option for that wall is now right where you walk in, on that front door facing wall. Right now it has our wedding photo, a picture of the SanDiego Temple and Con's photo. Really, it is too small a group for that big wall and it is US right as you walk in the door. So maybe that should go on the wall in the living room.
What do you think? I know this is a work in progress, and we are surrounded by every tone of wood you can imagine, but for now this is what we have to work with. I'd like your opinion. Monet and Monsonsaying or the 3 Photos on the wall beside the piano?
7 comments:
I want a house, yard and piano! You are a lucky girl- why didn't you take that other great stuff?
I think you should move the 3 pictures over with the Monson saying but I don't know what you should put in their place- I really wish I could see it in person though.
Sorry. We also got 3 blinds--2 of which were the right size, only the bed was left and it doesn't match the few pieces of bedroom furniture that we do have, and our house has a ceiling fan in every room that is not a bathroom, or the kitchen, but it has one over the stairs. We don't need anymore! Maybe she was stripping down her house b/c it is being repo-ed. We bought one so we think everything is repo. Or maybe she just thought Con was fabulous. Who knows?
These are great pictures or your house. The piano is as fabulous in person as it is on the screen. I like where you have everything.
If you did want to move the pictures over by the piano, maybe you could get a little table, like a foyer table to put right there as you walk in, with a vase of flowers and a lamp, or something.
Wow, you have a cute house. I'm green with envy. And I adore your piano. Regarding your wall dilemna (I misspelled it for you, because you love to pronounce that n that doesn't actually exist), I think having family pictures right when you walk in is very friendly. Everyone likes to look at pictures of people they know, and if someone comes into your house, chances are they know you.
I love your house, and all it's funky angles remind me of Phil's house. I am working on my own photo wall and when I am finished with it I'll post a step-by-step result. It might not be until next week though. This week has been hectic.
I love the house. It looks amazing and I want to come visit. On the picture stuff. I think you should put the grouping of 3, with the Monson saying (so now a grouping of 4 if you will) together on the wall in the living room. An even better idea would be to shop for something new. That was the attitude I took when decorating my new house. I shopped alot!!
The house is beautiful! Thank you for posting! Get setttled before you start tearing things apart. It is a long while before things seem to get settled. Enjoy before you make another mess.
Post a Comment