Friday, January 19, 2007

We Had Big Plans, note the past tense

I have no photos to post. I have no adventure to relate. I have a non-adventure. You see, the plan was to drive up to San Francisco and Roseville for a "last jaunt" while Tyler has his work apartment in the most fabulous downtown location. I wanted to eat a Schwarma, a Ghiridelli Sundae, walk across the Golden Gate Bridge (pushing a stroller, of course), go feed the famous Telegraph Parrots that are right across from the apartment building, enjoy quick over the street walks to the "secret" fountains and bridges to the Embarcaderos, visit the JellyBelly Factory, buy lots of flops to make Dean smile, hold a baby while there is no competition (that won't be the case in 2 weeks) and cook dinner for a Katie-less Ann.

I packed, cleaned out the car, got gas, loaded it up, through dishes into the dishwasher, took out the garbage, changed ANOTHER poopy diaper, got Conrad into the car and started to drive. The weather, CHP and CalTrans had other plans for my week.

At Castaic (not much after Magic Mountain, for those who, like me, didn't pay attention the last time you drove up the 5) the entire FREEWAY was closed down. Conrad woke up from his nap. My two navigators (Thank-you Katie and Tyler) were searching on line for suitable alternate routes, but could find nothing that any sane person traveling with just themselves and a 1 year old would take. We ended up driving home, trying to take naps and going to play with Karin, Adam and Austie. A 3 hour joy ride. Thats what it was.

The next day, I went so far as to load the car again, then I checked the news. We didn't attempt it. That's good because the grapevine didn't open up until the afternoon. Again, waiting for the road to open with a busy 1 year old would not have been fun.

This weekend, I am determined to do something different. The Getty is free. Parking is $8. Anyone want to go with me?

10 comments:

karin said...

No one wants to go to the Getty with you? I do but alas my husband is being a mechanic and I HAVE to be a student. I hope the Monsons enjoy the Getty enough to want to go when I am not a student and Mom is available.

Unknown said...

*I* want to go to the Getty with you! I went in high school and loved it - it's a really cool museum! And what is a schwarma? Do I want one of those, too?

Ann said...

I'll go! Oh, wait. The freeway is closed between here and there. I guess I'll go next time.

Ryan and Katie said...

Sorry that you didnt get to go up north, but thats ok because Jill and I have already gone south. But it would have been fun to hang out with ann and fam. And San Fran is an exciting place to be

Anonymous said...

Hey, how come you comment on everyone else's blog and not mine? Not fair. Also, I would have gone a trip with you had I been there.

chunkymonkey said...

I haven't commented until now because Con somehow locked up my keyboard the night I read everyone's blogs. I had to restart it, but fell asleep. Later, I tried to write all of my comments. Oops! But guess what I'm going to do right now?

Anonymous said...

Thank you Beebe! Now I know you still love me. ;)

Karen B said...

Don't let Ali peer pressure you into blogging or commenting on blogs. I don't approve of her evil blog regime. You do it when you feel like it. Also, sorry you couldn't go on your vacation.

chunkymonkey said...

Thank-you Karen.

Unknown said...

Beebe, it's time to post again. Just a friendly reminder. :)